Law No. (14) of 2023
Al Jalila Foundation in Support of Medical Education and Research
We, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Ruler of Dubai,
After perusal of:
Federal Law by Decree No. (19) of 2020 Concerning Trusts;
Law No. (10) of 2012 Establishing Al Jalila Foundation in Support of Medical Education and Research and its amendments;
Law No. (2) of 2011 Concerning the Islamic Affairs and Charitable Activities Department;
Law No. (13) of 2021 Establishing the Dubai Academic Health Institution;
Law No. (14) of 2017 Regulating Endowments and Gifts in the Emirate of Dubai;
Decree No. (9) of 2015 Regulating the Raising of Donations in the Emirate of Dubai; and
Decree No. (9) of 2022 Placing Private Public-benefit Entities Established Pursuant to Legislation under the Supervision and Audit of the Community Development Authority in Dubai,
Do hereby issue this Law.
This Law will be cited as “Law No. (14) of 2023 Concerning Al Jalila Foundation in Support of Medical Education and Research ”.
The following words and expressions, wherever mentioned in this Law, will have the meaning indicated opposite each of them unless the context implies otherwise:
The United Arab Emirates.
The Emirate of Dubai.
His Highness the Ruler of Dubai.
The Government of Dubai.
The Dubai Academic Health Institution.
Board of Directors:
The board of directors of the DAHI.
Al Jalila Foundation:
Al Jalila Foundation in Support of Medical Education and Research.
The board of directors of Al Jalila Foundation.
The honorary board of directors of Al Jalila Foundation.
The chief executive officer of Al Jalila Foundation.
The provisions of this Law apply to Al Jalila Foundation in Support of Medical Education and Research, which is established pursuant to the above-mentioned Law No. (10) of 2012 as a private non-profit foundation having legal personality, financial and administrative autonomy, and the legal capacity required to undertake all acts and dispositions that ensure the achievement of its objectives. Al Jalila Foundation will exercise its duties and functions under the supervision of the DAHI.
The head office of Al Jalila Foundation will be located in the Emirate. Branches and offices of Al Jalila Foundation may be established within and outside of the Emirate pursuant to a resolution of the BOD in accordance with legislation in force.
Al Jalila Foundation will have the following objectives:
1. to raise and manage Gifts, Donations, and any charitable contributions with a view to ensuring support to the DAHI in the achievement of its objectives of enhancing Health Services in the Emirate through an integrated academic health system that includes Healthcare, medical education, and scientific research in the relevant fields, in accordance with the legislation in force in the Emirate;
2. to contribute to securing financial support to fund the projects, initiatives, and programmes of the Health Sector in the Emirate, including the projects, initiatives, and programmes related to the health fields in which the DAHI and its affiliates are engaged, with a view to the achievement of the DAHI’s objectives and supporting it in performing its functions under the above-mentioned Law No. (13) of 2021;
3. to contribute to supporting and promoting medical education and research at the DAHI and its affiliates;
4. to contribute, in coordination with the DAHI, to the implementation of the approved Health Sector policies across the Government; and
5. to contribute to positioning the Emirate as a pioneer in the field of Health Service provision and community health management, and in medical sciences, by supporting medical education and research.
For the purpose of achieving its objectives, Al Jalila Foundation will, in coordination with the DAHI, have the duties and powers to:
1. develop a plan for raising Donations and securing funds in line with its strategic plans, the approved strategic plans of the DAHI, and the legislation in force in the Emirate;
2. provide financial aid to needy patients from all nationalities to enable them to receive medical treatment at the hospitals and clinics affiliated to the DAHI, or at any other hospitals and clinics to which they are referred by the DAHI;
3. provide financial support to fund the scientific research projects and scientist recruitment programmes adopted by the DAHI, including the programmes for recruitment of clinical scientists;
4. support researchers and specialised research institutions, and encourage them to develop distinguished medical research, through granting recognition awards and rewards in coordination with the concerned entities in the Emirate;
5. fund scientific research programmes and projects which focus on applied sciences, knowledge, and technology;
6. promote the findings of its scientific research and studies to donors and other community members;
7. support the publication of specialised medical journals within and outside of the UAE;
8. sponsor the scientific and educational conferences and seminars specialised in medical fields, whether organised within or outside of the UAE;
9. offer scholarships in specialised medical fields to UAE nationals and non-UAE nationals;
10. cooperate with academic institutions; international, regional, and Arab organisations; local government entities, civil society entities, and other concerned entities to support scientific research and technological development in medical fields;
11. contribute to establishing companies or undertake joint investments and ventures within and outside of the UAE, in accordance with the legislation in force in the Emirate, in order to develop donated property, with a view to supporting Al Jalila Foundation in achieving its objectives;
12. implement voluntary and charitable programmes and initiatives in medical fields; and
13. exercise any other duties or powers required to enable it to achieve its objectives, with a view to achieving the objectives of the DAHI and enabling it to perform its functions under the above-mentioned Law No. (13) of 2021; as well as any duties assigned to Al Jalila Foundation by the Ruler, the Chairman of the Executive Council, or the Board of Directors.
Al Jalila Foundation will have a board of directors comprised of a chairman, a vice chairman, and a number of members known for their integrity and competence, appointed pursuant to a resolution of the Chairman of the Executive Council of the Emirate. The number of the BOD members may neither be less than five (5) nor more than nine (9), including the chairman and vice chairman. The term of membership in the BOD will be three (3) years, renewable for the same period.
a. The BOD will undertake general supervision of Al Jalila Foundation; and in particular, will have the duties and powers to:
1. propose the policies, strategic plans, and objectives of Al Jalila Foundation; and submit the same to the Board of Directors for approval;
2. approve the plans required to secure the funding provided by Al Jalila Foundation for the scholarships, projects, and programmes it supports;
3. approve the regulations, bylaws, and resolutions regulating the administrative, financial, technical, and contractual work of Al Jalila Foundation;
4. propose the regulations and bylaws required to establish the governance framework of the relationship between the DAHI and Al Jalila Foundation, and submit these to the Board of Directors for approval;
5. approve the annual budget and financial statements of Al Jalila Foundation, and submit these to the Board of Directors for final approval;
6. determine, in coordination with the DAHI, the basis for cooperation and coordination with the entities concerned with medical scientific research at the local, regional, and international levels;
7. determine the criteria for the appointment of members of the Honorary Board;
8. form permanent and temporary committees and work teams to assist it in performing its duties; and determine the duties, powers, and terms of reference of these committees and work teams;
9. approve the conclusion of agreements and memoranda of understanding with entities specialised in fields that are relevant to the achievement of the objectives of Al Jalila Foundation; and
10. exercise any other duties or powers related to achieving the objectives of Al Jalila Foundation and enabling it to perform its functions, as assigned or delegated to it by the Board of Directors.
b. The BOD may delegate any of its powers under paragraph (a) of this Article to any of its members or to the CEO, provided that such delegation is specific and in writing.
Al Jalila Foundation will have an Honorary Board comprised of a chairman, a vice chairman, and a number of members known for their generosity and benevolence, appointed pursuant to a resolution of the chairman of the Board of Directors upon the recommendation of the BOD for a renewable term of three (3) years.
The Honorary Board is a titular board that will provide support and advice to Al Jalila Foundation. In particular, it will:
1. provide consultations on the process of developing and implementing the policies, objectives, and strategic plans of Al Jalila Foundation;
2. submit proposals concerning campaigns and initiatives for raising Donations for Al Jalila Foundation;
3. determine the basis of collaboration with the donors of Al Jalila Foundation;
4. participate in the events and endeavours aimed at raising Donations to support the achievement of the objectives of Al Jalila Foundation;
5. provide proposals and recommendations with respect to the priorities and plans for funding scholarships and supporting the persons and the projects of the DAHI and its affiliates; and
6. perform any other duties related to achieving the objectives of Al Jalila Foundation and enabling it to perform its functions, as assigned to it by the BOD.
The terms of reference of the BOD and the Honorary Board, and the procedures for holding their meetings and passing their resolutions and recommendations, will be governed by the regulations to be issued pursuant to the relevant resolutions of the chairman of the Board of Directors.
The executive body of Al Jalila Foundation will be comprised of the CEO and a number of administrative, finance, and technical employees. These employees will be governed by the relevant human resources regulations proposed by the BOD and approved by the Board of Directors.
a. The CEO will be appointed pursuant to a resolution of the chairman of the BOD.
b. The CEO will be directly responsible to the BOD for performing his duties under this Law, the resolutions issued in pursuance hereof, and other legislation in force in the Emirate, in a manner that ensures the achievement of Al Jalila Foundation objectives and enables it to perform its functions. In particular, the CEO will have the duties and powers to:
1. devise the general policy and the strategic, development, and operational plans of Al Jalila Foundation, submit these to the BOD for approval, and take the appropriate action to follow up the implementation of the same upon their approval;
2. draft the administrative, financial, and technical regulations, bylaws, and resolutions required to regulate the work and services of Al Jalila Foundation; and submit these to the BOD for approval;
3. prepare the draft annual budget and financial statements of Al Jalila Foundation, and submit the same to the BOD for approval;
4. undertake the daily supervision of the executive body of Al Jalila Foundation and its operations, activities, and services;
5. supervise the implementation of projects and programmes supported by Al Jalila Foundation;
6. represent Al Jalila Foundation before third parties and sign, in its name and on its behalf, all contracts, agreements, and memoranda of understanding in accordance with the relevant delegation of authority matrix approved by the BOD;
7. open and manage bank accounts within and outside of the Emirate subject to the approval of the BOD and in accordance with legislation in force; and
8. exercise any other duties or powers assigned or delegated to him by the BOD.
c. The CEO may delegate any of his duties under paragraph (b) of this Article to any of Al Jalila Foundation employees, provided that this delegation is specific and in writing.
a. The financial resources of Al Jalila Foundation will consist of:
1. the proceeds of the movable and immovable property owned by, or endowed or allocated to, Al Jalila Foundation;
2. the grants, Gifts, Donations, bequests, and endowments accepted by the BOD; and
3. any other financial resources approved by the BOD.
b. The standards and rules governing deductions from the Donations raised to cover the operating and administrative expenses and costs of Al Jalila Foundation will be determined pursuant to a resolution of the BOD and in coordination with the Islamic Affairs and Charitable Activities Department. Annual reports on the raised amounts, and the percentages deducted from the same, must be provided to donors.
a. In managing its accounts and records, Al Jalila Foundation will apply the accounting rules and principles adopted by the BOD in accordance with the internationally recognised standards. Al Jalila Foundation accounts and records will be audited by an external audit firm appointed by the BOD for this purpose.
b. The Financial Year of Al Jalila Foundation will commence on 1 January and will end on 31 December of each year.
All measures taken and decisions made in respect of all matters related to Al Jalila Foundation, by the Board of Directors or any of its committees, from the effective date of the above-mentioned Law No. (13) of 2021 Resolution until the date on which this Law comes into force are deemed valid as if taken or made in accordance with this Law.
Except for the resolutions which the chairman of the Board of Directors is exclusively authorised to issue under this Law, the chairman of the BOD will issue the resolutions, regulations, and bylaws required for implementing the provisions of this Law subject to approval of the same by the BOD.
This Law supersedes the above-mentioned Law No. (10) of 2012. Any provision in any other legislation is also hereby repealed to the extent that it contradicts the provisions of this Law.
This Law will be published in the Official Gazette and will come into force on the day on which it is published.
Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Ruler of Dubai
Issued in Dubai on 14 June 2023
Corresponding to 25 Thu al-Qidah 1444 A.H.
Every effort has been made to produce an accurate and complete English version of this legislation. However, for the purpose of its interpretation and application, reference must be made to the original Arabic text. In case of conflict, the Arabic text will prevail.