Administrative Resolution No. (20) of 2023
Concerning the Requirements and Procedures for
Approving and Changing Names of Private Schools
The Director General of the Knowledge and Human Development Authority in Dubai,
After perusal of:
Law No. (2) of 2021 Concerning the Knowledge and Human Development Authority in Dubai; and
Executive Council Resolution No. (2) of 2017 Regulating Private Schools in the Emirate of Dubai,
Does hereby issue this Resolution.
The words and expressions mentioned in this Resolution will have the same meaning assigned to them in the above-mentioned Executive Council Resolution No. (2) of 2017.
The name of a Private School will be approved subject to the following requirements:
1. The name of the Private School must not be registered or have been previously registered by another school in the UAE, or be similar to the name of any other school in the UAE.
2. The name of the Private School must not contain any wording that suggests, directly or indirectly, that the Private School is sponsored by any person who has no actual association with the Private School.
3. The name of the Private School must not contain any wording that is misleading to the public.
4. The name of the Private School must not contain any of the names of Allah, or the name of any Government Entity.
5. The name of the Private School must not contain the name or logo of any government or non-government entity based outside of the UAE, or suggest that the Private School is a branch of such an entity, without first obtaining the relevant approval of the KHDA.
6. The name of the Private School must not be in breach of any of the legislation in force in the UAE, the public order, or the public morals; and must not infringe any intellectual property rights.
7. The Private School must first obtain the approvals of concerned entities before using the name of any country, city, state, province, particular geographical area, existing school, or Curriculum in its name.
8. Where the name of a Curriculum is to be used in the name of the Private School, the school must meet the academic accreditation requirements prescribed by the KHDA for that Curriculum.
9. Subject to obtaining the necessary approvals from the concerned entities, the name of a branch of a Private School must correspond to the name of the Private School , and must be followed by the word “Branch” or the name of the geographical area in which that branch will be established.
10. Where the Private School is a branch of an international parent school, it must obtain the prior approval of the proposed name from the international school.
The name of a Private School will be changed subject to the following requirements:
1. The Private School must meet the requirements and rules stipulated in Article (2) of this Resolution.
2. The name of the Private School must be changed upon the end of the School Year during which the name change is requested and before the start of the new School Year.
3. The Private School must meet all the requirements for changing its name as prescribed by the Licensing Authority.
In approving or changing the name of a Private School, the following procedures will apply:
a. An application for approval or change of the name of the Private School will be submitted to the KHDA through the electronic system adopted by it for this purpose. The application must be submitted on the form prepared by the KHDA for this purpose, together with the required supporting documents.
b. The applicant will pay the fees prescribed by the above-mentioned Executive Council Resolution No. (2) of 2017 for making any variation to the Educational Permit.
c. The KHDA will consider the application, and the documents attached thereto, to verify that the applicant has fulfilled all the conditions, rules, and requirements and that the application is accompanied by all the relevant documents stipulated in Articles (2) and (3) of this Resolution. The KHDA may request any additional documents, data, or information it deems necessary for considering the application.
d. The KHDA will issue its decision on the application within six (6) working days from the date of fulfilling all the data and document requirements for the application. The application will be deemed rejected if no decision is issued by the KHDA within this period.
e. Where the application is rejected, the KHDA will notify the applicant of the reasons for rejection. Where the application is approved, the KHDA will issue the requested approval.
Upon approving the name of a Private School by the KHDA or obtaining its approval for changing that name, the Private School must:
1. display its name in both Arabic and English in a prominent place, and ensure that the displayed name corresponds to the name approved by the KHDA;
2. use the name approved by the KHDA in all its publications, correspondence, papers, documents, and advertising material; and
3. notify the Students enrolled with it, and their Parents, of the change of its name.
This Resolution will be published in the Official Gazette and will come into force on the day on which it is published.
Dr. Abdullah Mohammed Al Karam
Knowledge and Human Development Authority in Dubai
Issued in Dubai on 15 August 2023
Corresponding to 28 Muharram 1445 A.H.
Every effort has been made to produce an accurate and complete English version of this legislation. However, for the purpose of its interpretation and application, reference must be made to the original Arabic text. In case of conflict, the Arabic text will prevail.