Law No. (6) of 2022
Concerning the Dubai Media Incorporated
We, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Ruler of Dubai,
After perusal of:
Law No. (3) of 2003 Establishing the Executive Council of the Emirate of Dubai;
Law No. (8) of 2003 Establishing the Dubai Media Incorporated;
Law No. (1) of 2016 Concerning the Financial Regulations of the Government of Dubai; and
Law No. (5) of 2022 Establishing the Dubai Media Council;
Resolution No. (40) of 2021 Forming the Dubai Media Incorporated Steering Committee,
Do hereby issue this Law.
This Law will be cited as “Law No. (6) of 2022 Concerning the Dubai Media Incorporated”.
The following words and expressions, wherever mentioned in this Law, will have the meaning indicated opposite each of them unless the context implies otherwise:
The United Arab Emirates.
The Emirate of Dubai.
The Government of Dubai.
The Executive Council of the Emirate of Dubai.
The Dubai Media Council.
The Dubai Media Incorporated.
The chief executive officer of the DMI.
All the human, technical, and electronic resources used by the DMI for achieving its media objectives, namely the transmission, dissemination, printing, and distribution of visual, audio, written, digital, and electronic information. This includes, but is not limited to, terrestrial and satellite television and radio broadcasting and webcasting; television and radio production; paper and electronic press, printing, and publishing; and other media.
Any of the activities related to the production, transmission, broadcasting, distribution, or dissemination of written, digital, audio, or visual information. This includes the activities related to journalism, publication, audio-visual broadcasting, or film industry; and any other related activities.
The provisions of this Law apply to the Dubai Media Incorporated established pursuant to the above-mentioned Law No. (8) of 2003, as a public corporation conducting its business on a commercial basis and having legal personality and the legal capacity required to undertake all acts and dispositions that ensure the achievement of its objectives. The DMI is hereby affiliated to the DMC.
The head office of the DMI will be located in the Emirate. Other branches or offices of the DMI may be established within and outside of the Emirate pursuant to a resolution of the DMC.
The DMI will have the following objectives:
1. to contribute to promoting the Emirate as a leading and advanced media hub that uses the latest technologies and digital equipment to provide high quality media content;
2. to provide competitive and diversified media services that enhance the position of the Emirate and the UAE in the field of media, and contribute to shaping the future, in line with the relevant strategic plans approved by the DMC;
3. to embody the spirit of the Emirate and enhance its image before the world through developing a sense of national responsibility, promoting and preserving the UAE cultural heritage, and promoting the Emirate as a global economic and tourism hub; and
4. to raise and promote cultural and media awareness by engaging media professionals and specialists from amongst national human resources and utilising Mass Media and other media resources.
For the purpose of achieving its objectives, the DMI will have the duties and powers to:
1. devise the policies and strategic plans required for developing the DMI and Media Activities, including all areas, techniques, concepts, and uses of the television, radio, and journalism work and other media work and Media Activities; present these policies and strategic plans to the DMC for approval; and develop the procedures required for implementation of the same upon their approval;
2. support the implementation of the policies, programmes, and initiatives for the development of various sectors within the DMI, in line with the comprehensive strategic development plans of the Emirate;
3. develop, in coordination with the DMC and the competent entities in the Emirate, the infrastructure that supports the DMI;
4. hold, in coordination with the DMC, media exhibitions and events; and organise conferences, missions, visits, and training programmes and workshops at the local, national, and international levels;
5. conduct all media business and Media Activities, particularly in the areas of radio, television, and journalism, using all available technological and digital means. These include media production, publishing, printing, marketing, advertising, and distribution;
6. conduct commercial activities and invest in various fields of media, in coordination, cooperation, and partnership with the competent government entities and the private sector, and in accordance with the legislation in force in the Emirate;
7. own, possess, lease out, or take lease of movable and immovable property, materials, devices, equipment, and systems in order to achieve its objectives; and dispose of the same in any legal manner;
8. establish corporations and companies solely or in partnership with other persons; or invest or hold shares in companies and corporations that are engaged in the same or similar activities as those of the DMI within and outside of the Emirate, or that contribute to the achievement of the DMI objectives, in accordance with the legislation in force in the Emirate; and
9. exercise any other duties or powers required for the achievement of the objectives of the DMI, as assigned to it by the DMC.
a. A chairman will be appointed to the DMI pursuant to a decree of the Ruler.
b. The chairman will undertake general supervision of the DMI; ensure that the DMI achieves its objectives and performs its functions under this Law, the resolutions issued in pursuance hereof, and other legislation in force in the Emirate; and perform all the duties assigned to him by the Ruler or the Chairman of the Executive Council.
The executive body of the DMI will be comprised of the CEO and a number of administrative, finance, and technical employees. These employees will be subject to the relevant human resources regulations approved by the Chairman of the DMC.
a. The CEO will be appointed pursuant to a resolution of the Chairman of the DMC.
b. The CEO will be directly responsible to the DMC for exercising the duties and powers assigned to him under this Law, the resolutions issued in pursuance hereof, and other legislation in force in the Emirate.
c. The CEO will supervise the work and activities of the DMI in a manner that ensures the achievement of its objectives. In particular, the CEO will have the duties and powers to:
1. develop the general policy and the strategic, development, operational, and investment plans of the DMI; and submit the same to the DMC for approval;
2. propose the policies and strategic plans required for developing the DMI business as well as all areas, techniques, concepts, and uses of the television, radio, and journalism work and other Media Activities; and submit the same to the DMC for approval;
3. propose the projects, initiatives, activities, and programmes that contribute to achieving the objectives of the DMI and enabling it to exercise its functions; and submit the same to the DMC for approval;
4. develop and follow up the implementation of the investment plans aimed at enabling the DMI to achieve full financial autonomy and to self-finance its programmes and projects, with a view to enabling it to achieve financial sustainability;
5. prepare the draft annual budget and Financial Statements of the DMI; and submit the same to the DMC for discussion, in preparation for their approval by the Chairman of the DMC;
6. draft the bylaws, regulations, and resolutions regulating the administrative, financial, and technical work of the DMI, including the human resources regulations of the DMI; and submit the same to the DMC for approval;
7. approve financial transactions, subject to the rules stipulated in the financial regulations and bylaws applicable to the DMI and in accordance with the legislation in force in the Emirate;
8. prepare the organisational structure of the DMI, and submit the same to the DMC for approval;
9. propose the fees and charges for the services provided by the DMI; and submit the same to the DMC for approval, in preparation for their final approval by the competent entities in the Emirate in accordance with the applicable legislation;
10. appoint, and determine the remuneration of, external auditors; and review the reports and notes submitted by these auditors at the end of each Financial Year;
11. supervise the work of the executive body of the DMI and ensure that it exercises the duties and powers of the DMI under this Law, the resolutions issued in pursuance hereof, and other legislation in force in the Emirate; and appoint competent and specialised employees;
12. open and manage accounts with banks within and outside of the Emirate; obtain the necessary loans and credit facilities; and provide appropriate guarantees and mortgage security, including the mortgage of the assets and other property of the DMI, in coordination with the DMC and the competent entities in the Emirate and in accordance with the applicable legislation;
13. form permanent and temporary sub-committees and work teams, from amongst the employees of the DMI or other persons, to assist him in performing his duties; and determine the duties and powers of these sub-committees and work teams;
14. submit periodic reports on the performance of the DMI to the DMC to issue the relevant directives as it deems appropriate;
15. enhance corporate relations with media corporations, strategic partners, and other relevant entities with a view to achieving the objectives of the DMI and enabling it to exercise its functions;
16. represent the DMI before third parties; and conclude the contracts, agreements, and memoranda of understanding to which the DMI is party; and
17. exercise any other duties or powers required for enabling the DMI to achieve its objectives, as assigned or delegated to him by the DMC.
d. With the exception of the powers vested in the DMC under sub-paragraphs (c)(1), (c)(2), and (c)(3) of this Article, the DMC may delegate any of its powers under paragraph (c) of this Article to the CEO, provided that such delegation is specific and in writing.
e. The CEO may delegate any of his duties and powers under paragraph (c) of this Article to any of the DMI executive directors, provided that such delegation is specific and in writing.
Government Entities in the Emirate must fully cooperate with the DMI and provide it, upon request, with the required support to enable it to achieve its objectives and perform its functions under this Law, the resolutions issued in pursuance hereof, and other legislation in force in the Emirate.
Neither the Government nor the DMC will be liable to third parties for any debts or obligations arising from the business and activities of the DMI or of any of the entities or companies affiliated to or owned by it; or arising from the exercise by the DMI of its duties and powers under this Law and the resolutions issued in pursuance hereof. The DMI will be solely liable for such debts and obligations.
The DMI may, in accordance with the legislation in force in the Emirate and subject to the approval of the DMC, outsource any of its functions under this Law to any public or private entity pursuant to an agreement concluded with that entity in this respect. This agreement will determine the rights and obligations of the DMI and the contracted entity as well as the conditions, requirements, and specifications that the entity must observe when performing the functions outsourced to it by the DMI.
The financial resources of the DMI will consist of:
1. the movable and immovable property allocated to the DMI by the Government;
2. the support allocated to the DMI in the General Budget of the Emirate;
3. the fees, service charges, and return on investment received by the DMI in return for conducting its activities, providing its services, and investing its property; and
4. the grants, gifts, donations, aid, sponsorships, and any other resources approved by the DMC.
a. In managing its accounts and records, the DMI will apply the rules and principles of commercial accounting in accordance with the relevant internationally recognised standards.
b. The Financial Year of the DMI will commence on 1 January and will end on 31 December of each year.
Without prejudice to the powers vested in the DMC under this Law, the CEO will issue the resolutions required for the implementation of the provisions of this Law.
a. This Law supersedes the above-mentioned Law No. (8) of 2003.
b. The above-mentioned Resolution No. (40) of 2021 is hereby repealed. Any provision in any other legislation is also hereby repealed to the extent that it contradicts the provisions of this Law.
c. The bylaws, resolutions, and instructions issued in implementation of the above-mentioned Law No. (8) of 2003 and other legislation in force in the Emirate will continue in force, to the extent that they do not contradict this Law, until new superseding bylaws, resolutions, instructions, and legislation are issued.
This Law will be published in the Official Gazette and will come into force on the day on which it is published.
Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Ruler of Dubai
Issued in Dubai on 14 March 2022
Corresponding to 11 Shaban 1443 A.H.
Every effort has been made to produce an accurate and complete English version of this legislation. However, for the purpose of its interpretation and application, reference must be made to the original Arabic text. In case of conflict, the Arabic text will prevail.