Law No. (5) of 2022
Establishing the Dubai Media Council
We, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Ruler of Dubai,
After perusal of:
Law No. (3) of 2003 Establishing the Executive Council of the Emirate of Dubai;
Law No. (8) of 2003 Establishing Dubai Media Incorporated;
Law No. (2) of 2010 Establishing the Government of Dubai Media Office;
Law No. (8) of 2018 Concerning Management of the Government of Dubai Human Resources;
Decree No. (28) of 2015 Concerning Governance of the Boards and Committees Affiliated to the Government of Dubai; and
The Legislation establishing and regulating free zones in the Emirate of Dubai,
Do hereby issue this Law.
This Law will be cited as “Law No. (5) of 2022 Establishing the Dubai Media Council”.
The following words and expressions, wherever mentioned in this Law, will have the meaning indicated opposite each of them unless the context implies otherwise:
The United Arab Emirates.
The Emirate of Dubai.
His Highness the Ruler of Dubai.
The Government of Dubai.
The Executive Council of the Emirate of Dubai.
The Dubai Media Council.
The chairman of the DMC.
The vice chairman and managing director of the DMC.
The general secretariat of the DMC.
The secretary general of the DMC.
The companies or other establishments that are engaged in, and influence, the Media sector; and that are fully or partially owned by the Government, including by the free zone authorities.
All the human, technical, electronic, and digital resources dedicated for the transmission, dissemination, printing, and distribution of written, digital, visual, and audio content. This includes, but is not limited to, terrestrial and satellite television and radio broadcasting; webcasting; digital casting; television and radio production; paper and electronic press, printing, and publishing; social media; and other present and future media and means of publication.
The Government Entities affiliated to the DMC pursuant to this Law.
Pursuant to this Law, a council named the “Dubai Media Council” is established. The DMC will have legal personality and the legal capacity required to undertake the acts and dispositions that ensure the achievement of its objectives. The DMC is hereby affiliated to the Executive Council.
The head office of the DMC will be located in the Emirate. Other branches and offices of the DMC may be established within and outside of the Emirate pursuant to a resolution of the Chairman.
The DMC will have the following objectives:
1. to consolidate Media efforts in the Emirate to adopt an effective, comprehensive, and strategic Media vision at the local, regional, and international Media levels;
2. to develop the Media strategy of the Emirate to enhance its position as a leading Media hub at the local, regional, and international levels;
3. to develop a system for measuring the efficiency of Media channels and content; and to follow up the implementation of Media strategies to ensure their success;
4. to boost the competitive edge of the Emirate in the Media sector, with a view to enhancing its regional and international influence and serving its national plans;
5. to protect the Emirate’s reputation in the Media and promote its success stories; and
6. to promote the Emirate as an international hub for young Media talents by supporting and developing Emirati Media cadres.
a. The DMC is the Government Entity in charge of the Media sector in the Emirate. The DMC is exclusively authorised to represent the Emirate and its local entities before federal and local entities in the UAE, and before regional and international organisations, with respect to all matters related to the Media sector. The DMC will have the authority to exercise the duties and powers required for the achievement of its objectives. In particular, the DMC will have the duties and powers to:
1. develop, and supervise the implementation of, the general Media strategy of the Emirate and strategic plans for the Media sector, in line with the strategic plan of the Emirate;
2. approve the general vision and strategic framework of the work of Media Establishments in the Emirate, and oversee the achievement by these establishment of the DMC objectives;
3. establish specialised performance indicators for Media Establishments to enhance their competitiveness at the local, regional, and international levels;
4. approve the strategic objectives of the DMC and the initiatives, projects, programmes, studies, and recommendations that are related to the work and activities of the DMC and that are implemented by the Affiliated Entities;
5. coordinate, develop, and approve the policies related to the Media sector in the Emirate;
6. approve the work plans and programmes of the DMC; and review, and assess the implementation of, the same on an annual basis;
7. boost strategic relationships with the local, regional, and international Media by entering into partnerships;
8. monitor the material printed, disseminated, transmitted, and broadcast by Media Establishments on all Media platforms within the Emirate; and take the necessary actions in respect thereof;
9. review the fees and charges for the services provided by the Affiliated Entities; and submit the relevant recommendations to the competent entities in the Emirate;
10. review the performance reports of the DMC, the committees formed by the DMC, and the Affiliated Entities; and make the necessary decisions in this respect;
11. follow up and supervise, in coordination with the concerned entities in the Emirate, the Media management of crises;
12. support Media Establishments and enable them to perform their role in the society in an environment of responsible freedom and independence while maintaining an advanced level of professionalism;
13. approve the Media programmes, projects, and initiatives aimed at enhancing the Emirate's reputation in the Media and maintaining its positive image; and supervise the implementation of these programmes, projects, and initiatives by the Affiliated Entities;
14. approve the projects and initiatives related to supporting, developing, maintaining, and encouraging promising Media talents;
15. study and review the legislation regulating the Media sector, Mass Media, and Media Activities; propose drafts of legislation that would support their regulation and development with a view to coping with rapid changes in the Media landscape; and submit the same to the competent entities in the Emirate to take the appropriate actions in respect thereof;
16. approve performance indicators to assess compliance with the general policies and strategic plans related to the Media sector; and make the appropriate decisions in this respect;
17. coordinate and cooperate with the concerned federal and local entities on making available all information, data, and statistics that serve the development of the Media sector in the Emirate;
18. establish companies, solely or in partnership with other persons; and invest in, enter into partnerships with, hold shares in, forge mergers with, or acquire shares or stocks in, companies and corporations that conduct Media Activities or other activities which support the DMC in achieving its objectives within and outside of the UAE, in accordance with the legislation in force in the Emirate;
19. own and take lease of the movable and immovable property required for the achievement of the DMC objectives and for enabling it to perform its functions; and
20. exercise any other duties or powers required for enabling the DMC to achieve its objectives, as vested in it under the legislation in force in the Emirate or assigned to it by the Ruler or the Chairman of the Executive Council.
b. The DMC may delegate any of its duties and powers under paragraph (a) of this Article to the Managing Director, to any of the Members of the DMC or of the committees its forms, or to the Secretary General, provided that such delegation is specific and in writing.
a. A Chairman will be appointed to the DMC pursuant to a decree issued by the Ruler.
b. The Chairman will undertake general supervision of the work of the DMC and issue the resolutions required for enabling the DMC to achieve its objectives and perform its functions under this Law and other legislation in force in the Emirate. For this purpose, the Chairman will have the duties and powers to:
1. approve the general policy and the strategic and development plans of the DMC;
2. approve the services, work, projects, and activities that the DMC intends to perform;
3. approve the annual budget and financial statements of the DMC;
4. approve the organisational structure of the DMC and submit the same, through the General Secretariat, to the Executive Council for final approval;
5. approve the bylaws and resolutions regulating the administrative, financial, and technical work of the DMC; and
6. perform any other duties assigned to him by the Ruler or the Chairman of the Executive Council.
c. The Chairman may delegate any of his duties or powers under paragraph (b) of this Article to the Managing Director, provided that such delegation is specific and in writing.
a. The DMC will be comprised of the Chairman, as a chairman, the Managing Director, as a vice chairman, and other experienced, competent, and specialised Members. The DMC will comprise at least seven (7) Members, including the Chairman, the Managing Director, and the Secretary General. The term of membership in the DMC will be three (3) years, renewable for the same period.
b. The Managing Director will act as the Chairman where Chairman is absent, where his post falls vacant, or where he becomes incapable of performing his duties. In these cases, the Managing Director will exercise the duties and powers of the Chairman under this Law, the resolutions issued in pursuance hereof, and other legislation in force in the Emirate.
a. The DMC will be convened at the invitation of the Chairman, or the Managing Director where the Chairman is absent, at least four (4) times every year or where necessary, at the time and place determined by the chair of the meeting.
b. DMC meetings will be valid if attended by the majority of its Members, provided that the Chairman or Managing Director is in attendance.
c. Resolutions and recommendations of the DMC will be passed by majority vote of the attending Members; and in the event of a tie, the chair of the meeting will have a casting vote.
d. Resolutions and recommendations of the DMC will be recorded in minutes signed by the chair of the meeting and the attending Members.
e. A rapporteur will be appointed to the DMC pursuant to a resolution of the Chairman. The rapporteur will be responsible for sending meeting invitations to DMC Members and to experts and consultants from Government Entities and Media Establishments, or other persons required to attend the meetings; preparing the DMC meeting agendas and minutes of meetings; following up the implementation of the DMC resolutions and recommendations, and performing any other duties assigned to him by the Chairman, the Managing Director, or the Secretary General.
f. In the course of exercising its duties and powers under this Law, the DMC may, as it deems appropriate, seek the assistance of experts and specialists, but they will have no vote in its deliberations.
g. The DMC may form permanent or temporary boards, sub-committees, or work teams to assist it in performing its duties. The resolutions forming these boards, sub-committees, or work teams must determine their members, duties, and tenures.
The above-mentioned Decree No. (28) of 2015, or any other superseding legislation, applies to the management of the meetings of the DMC, the confidentiality of information, the duties of the Chairman and Members, and all other matters related to the governance of the DMC.
a. The DMC will have a General Secretariat that provides the technical and administrative support services to enable the DMC to perform its duties and powers; and that provides the information, data, studies, and statistics required by the DMC.
b. The DMC may seek assistance from the executive bodies of any of the Affiliated Entities to provide it with administrative and technical support.
c. The General Secretariat will have an administrative and technical body appointed by the Secretary General. The provisions of Law No. (8) of 2018 Concerning Management of the Government of Dubai Human Resources, and the resolutions issued in pursuance thereof, apply to the employees of this body.
a. A Secretary General will be appointed pursuant to a resolution issued by the Chairman of the Executive Council based on the recommendation of the Chairman.
b. The Secretary General will be directly responsible to the DMC for exercising the duties assigned to him under this Law, the resolutions issued in pursuance hereof, and other legislation in force in the Emirate.
c. The Secretary General will supervise the daily work of the General Secretariat, manage and regulate its work, and represent the DMC in its relations with third parties and before judicial authorities. In particular, the Secretary General will have the duties and powers to:
1. propose the policies; strategic, development, and operational plans; programmes; and initiatives that would achieve the objectives of the DMC; and submit the same to the DMC for approval;
2. apply and follow up performance indicators for the assessment of compliance with the general policies and strategic plans related to the Media sector; and with the resolutions, policies, plans, and programmes made by the DMC;
3. prepare work plans and programmes, and relevant projects pertaining to the Media sector; and submit the same to the DMC for approval;
4. prepare the organisational structure of the DMC and the General Secretariat; and present the same to the DMC for approval by the Chairman, in preparation for submission to the Executive Council for final approval;
5. propose the resolutions, bylaws, and regulations governing the administrative, financial, and technical work of the DMC and the General Secretariat; and present the same to the DMC for discussion in preparation for approval by the Chairman;
6. prepare the draft annual budget and financial statements of the DMC, and present the same to the DMC for discussion in preparation for approval by the Chairman;
7. review the fees and charges for the services provided by the Affiliated Entities, and submit the same to the DMC for approval in preparation for their final approval by the competent entities in the Emirate;
8. supervise the performance by the General Secretariat and its organisational units of their duties under this Law, and the resolutions and bylaws issued by the Chairman and the DMC; and appoint the technical and administrative staff required to perform the work of the DMC and the General Secretariat;
9. prepare periodic reports on the performance of the DMC and the General Secretariat, and submit the same to the DMC to take the necessary action in respect thereof;
10. approve financial transactions subject to the rules stipulated by the financial regulations and bylaws applicable to the DMC and the legislation in force in the Emirate;
11. sign, in the DMC’s name and on its behalf, contracts, agreements, and memoranda of understanding in accordance with the relevant powers conferred on him by the DMC; and
12. exercise any other duties or powers assigned or delegated to him by the DMC in relation to enabling the DMC to achieve its objectives.
a. Effective as of the date this Law comes into force, the following entities are hereby affiliated to the DMC:
1. the Government of Dubai Media Office and its affiliates; and
2. the Dubai Media Incorporated.
b. Each of the Affiliated Entities will retain the legal personality granted to it under the legislation establishing it or regulating its work; and will exercise the duties and powers assigned to it by such legislation under the financial and strategic supervision of the DMC, provided that these duties and powers do not conflict with the functions of the DMC.
a. The Chairman; the Managing Director; the DMC Members, including the Secretary General; and the employees of the General Secretariat and the Affiliated Entities must not, during or after their term of service with the DMC, disclose or divulge any written or verbal information which is confidential in nature or pursuant to any legislation in force, unless they obtain a prior relevant permission from the competent entity. In particular, they must not:
1. copy, retrieve, transfer, or disclose any information, facts, or documents to which they have access in the course of performing their duties;
2. use the information to which they have access in the course of performing their duties for unauthorised purposes;
3. misuse the information they obtain as a result of their membership in the DMC or work with the General Secretariat or the Affiliated Entities; or
4. allow any unauthorised person to access information or documents related to their work.
b. Upon forfeiture, termination, or expiry of the membership of the Chairman, the Managing Director, or the DMC Members, including the Secretary General; or upon termination of the service of the employees of the General Secretariat and the Affiliated Entities, for any reason whatsoever, they must return all documents, papers, files, materials, tapes, discs, software, or other property of the DMC, the Affiliated Entities, or the General Secretariat in their possession, whether or not these include confidential information.
c. For purposes of implementation of this Article, the Chairman, the Managing Director, the DMC Members, the Secretary General, and the employees of the General Secretariat and the Affiliated Entities must sign the confidentiality and non-disclosure undertaking adopted by the DMC in this respect.
The financial resources of the DMC will consist of:
2. the grants, gifts, bequests, endowments, and aids accepted by the DMC in accordance with the legislation in force; and
3. any other resources approved by the Chairman.
a. In managing its accounts and records, the DMC will apply the government accounting rules and principles.
b. The financial year of the DMC will commence on 1 January and will end on 31 December of each Year, except that the first financial year will commence on the date on which this Law comes into force and will end on 31 December of the following Year.
All Government Entities, Media Establishments, and other entities engaged in the Media sector in the Emirate must fully cooperate with the DMC and provide it with all the documents, data, information, statistics, and studies it requests and deems necessary to enable it to achieve its objectives and exercise its duties and powers under this Law, the resolutions issued in pursuance hereof, and other legislation in force in the Emirate.
The Chairman will issue the resolutions required for the implementation of the provisions of this Law.
Any provision in any other legislation is hereby repealed to the extent that it contradicts the provisions of this Law.
This Law will be published in the Official Gazette and will come into force on the day on which it is published.
Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Ruler of Dubai
Issued in Dubai on 14 March 2022
Corresponding to 11 Shaban 1443 A.H.
Every effort has been made to produce an accurate and complete English version of this legislation. However, for the purpose of its interpretation and application, reference must be made to the original Arabic text. In case of conflict, the Arabic text will prevail.