Decree No. (16) of 2018
Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum Foundation for
Distinguished Academic Performance
We, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Ruler of Dubai,
After perusal of:
Decree No. (25) of 2000 Establishing the Hamdan bin Rashid Award for Distinguished Academic Performance and its amendments,
Do hereby issue this Decree.
The following words and expressions, wherever mentioned in this Decree, will have the meaning indicated opposite each of them unless the context implies otherwise:
The United Arab Emirates.
The Emirate of Dubai.
His Highness Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Deputy Ruler of Dubai.
The Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum Foundation for Distinguished Academic Performance.
Board of Trustees:
The board of trustees of the HBRFDAP.
The secretary general of the HBRFDAP.
a. This Decree will apply to the Hamdan bin Rashid Award for Distinguished Academic Performance established pursuant to above-mentioned Decree No. (25) of 2000 as a non-profit foundation having legal personality, and the legal capacity required to undertake all acts and dispositions in accordance with its objectives, its charter, and the provisions of this Decree.
b. The name “Hamdan bin Rashid Award for Distinguished Academic Performance” is hereby replaced by “Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum Foundation for Distinguished Academic Performance”, wherever mentioned in any legislation in force in the Emirate.
The head office of the HBRFDAP will be located in the Emirate. The HBRFDAP may establish other branches and offices within and outside of the Emirate pursuant to a resolution of the Board of Trustees.
The HBRFDAP aims to:
1. support the Government and society efforts in highlighting the importance of the education sector; and promote the culture of talent, innovation, excellence, and quality in the field of education;
2. contribute to improving the quality and levels of performance and creativity within educational institutions at the local and international levels, and improving relevant elements and resources of the educational process, in accordance with international best practices;
3. establish and support innovation and scientific research centres;
4. support the talented and talent tracks; build the capacity of the talented and create a nurturing environment to foster, support, and invest in their talent; and develop talent programmes;
5. encourage educational and scientific research on excellence and talent, particularly in areas of national priority; and
6. encourage and motivate creative, innovative, and distinguished persons, and recognise the educational and academic achievements of individuals and entities at the local, regional, and international levels.
For the purpose of achieving its objectives, the HBRFDAP will have the duties and powers to:
1. sponsor and support the general policies aiming at developing education, scientific research, and specialised reports on academic excellence, innovation, and talent; and sponsor creative projects;
2. contribute to promoting the concept of excellence, talent, and innovation as part of the learning content by providing scholarships, human development programmes, and specialised studies;
3. design and manage programmes, centres, and advanced laboratories in the fields of academic excellence, talent, and innovation;
4. bolster local and international partnerships in fields that are relevant to the achievement of the objectives of the HBRFDAP with a view to promoting the exchange of knowledge and expertise, keeping pace with the latest knowledge developments, providing educational opportunities for creative persons, and highlighting the endeavours of the UAE in these fields;
5. establish companies and corporations, either solely or in partnership with other persons, in fields that are relevant to the work of the HBRFDAP;
6. organise events, exhibitions, conferences, workshops, and specialised programmes; and produce translations and publications in fields that are relevant to the achievement of the objectives of the HBRFDAP;
7. issue periodic reports and bulletins in fields that are relevant to the work of the HBRFDAP;
8. design, launch, and grant local, regional, and international awards in the fields of academic excellence, innovation, and talent; and
9. perform any other duties required for the achievement of the objectives of the HBRFDAP.
The HBRFDAP will be managed in accordance with this Decree, its charter, and the bylaws issued in pursuance thereof.
a. The HBRFDAP will be managed by a Board of Trustees comprised of no less than seven (7) and no more than fifteen (15) administratively and culturally competent UAE national members, including the chairman and vice chairman. The Board of Trustees will be formed pursuant to a resolution of the President. Membership of the Board of Trustees will be for a period of five (5) years, renewable for the same period.
b. The Board of Trustees will convene at the invitation of its chairman, or vice chairman in case of absence of the chairman, at least once every three (3) months or where necessary. Meetings of the Board of Trustees will be valid if attended by the majority of its members, provided that the chairman or vice chairman is in attendance. Resolutions and recommendations of the Board of Trustees will be passed by majority vote of attending members, and in the event of a tie, the chair of the meeting will have the casting vote.
c. Resolutions and recommendations of the Board of Trustees will be recorded in minutes signed by the chair of the meeting and attending members.
d. A rapporteur will be appointed to the Board of Trustees. The rapporteur will be appointed by the Board of Trustees and will be responsible for sending meeting invitations to members of the Board of Trustees, preparing meeting agendas, recording minutes of meetings, following up the implementation of the Board of Trustees resolutions and recommendations, and performing any other duties assigned to him by the Board of Trustees.
a. The Board of Trustees is the highest authority responsible for managing the affairs of the HBRFDAP, developing its general policy, and administering its work in a manner that achieves the objectives of the HBRFDAP. For these purposes, the Board of Trustees will have the duties and powers to:
1. approve the charter of the HBRFDAP and submit the same to the President for final approval;
2. approve the strategic plan and annual work plans of the HBRFDAP based on the objectives of the HBRFDAP, and provide the Secretary General with the Board of Trustees’ directives on implementing these plans;
3. approve the organisational structure of the HBRFDAP;
4. conduct supervision, guidance, and follow-up on the activities related to the achievement of the objectives of the HBRFDAP;
5. approve the criteria and grounds for selecting winners of the HBRFDAP awards in the various educational and academic fields;
6. issue internal bylaws regulating all the activities of the HBRFDAP, and pass the required resolutions that ensure proper conduct of these activities and flow of work;
7. determine the monetary value of the awards of the HBRFDAP in various educational and academic fields;
8. approve nominations for all categories of the awards of the HBRFDAP;
9. establish all types of companies and establishments with a view to achieving the objectives of the HBRFDAP;
10. approve the general policy for investing the property of the HBRFDAP, and develop the procedures and rules required to use the returns on investment in the fields and projects approved by the HBRFDAP;
11. approve the draft annual budget of the HBRFDAP, and submit the same to the competent entities for final approval;
12. approve the annual financial statements of the HBRFDAP, and submit the same to the President for final approval; and
13. exercise any other duties or powers assigned or delegated to it by the President.
b. The Board of Trustees may delegate any of the powers vested in it under paragraph (a) of this Article to any member of the Board of Trustees, provided that this delegation is specific and in writing.
a. A Secretary General will be appointed to the HBRFDAP pursuant to a resolution of the President.
b. The Secretary General will exercise the duties and powers assigned to him under the charter of the HBRFDAP.
a. The General Secretariat of the HBRFDAP will be comprised of the Secretary General, a chief executive officer, and a number of administrative, finance, and technical employees.
b. The General Secretariat of the HBRFDAP will conduct all its operations in accordance with the bylaws, regulations, and resolutions issued in this respect.
The activities of the HBRFDAP will include:
1. administering the local, Arab, and international categories of the Hamdan bin Rashid Award for Distinguished Academic Performance;
2. sponsoring the talented;
3. sponsoring creativity and innovation; and
4. conducting any other activities authorised by the Board of Trustees and approved by the President.
The financial resources of the HBRFDAP will consist of:
1. the support allocated to the HBRFDAP by the President;
2. the support allocated to the HBRFDAP by the Government of Dubai;
3. the proceeds generated from marketing, sponsorship, and organising events and conferences;
4. returns on investment of the HBRFDAP’s property;
5. grants, gifts, and donations provided to the HBRFDAP and accepted by the Board of Trustees; and
6. any other resources approved by the Board of Trustees.
Every year, the HBRFDAP will submit to the President a copy of its annual report, and its financial statements attested by a certified auditor.
a. This Decree supersedes the above-mentioned Decree No. (25) of 2000 and its amendments.
b. Any provision in any other legislation will be repealed to the extent that it contradicts the provisions of this Decree.
c. The bylaws, resolutions, and instructions issued in implementation of the above-mentioned Decree No. (25) of 2000 and its amendments will continue in force, to the extent that they do not contradict this Decree, until new superseding bylaws, resolutions, and instructions are issued.
This Decree comes into force on the day on which it is issued, and will be published in the Official Gazette.
Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Ruler of Dubai
Issued in Dubai on 14 April 2018
Corresponding to 28 Rajab 1439 A.H.
Every effort has been made to produce an accurate and complete English version of this legislation. However, for the purpose of its interpretation and application, reference must be made to the original Arabic text. In case of conflict, the Arabic text will prevail.